Bethel Animal Hospital

7680 Bethel Road
Gainesville, GA 30506



When travelling outside of the United States with your pet(s), there may be animal health requirements specific for that destination. As soon as you have your trip details, factors you will need to consider prior to your trip may include meeting time frames for obtaining a health certificate, updating vaccinations, diagnostic testing, or administration of medications/ treatments. Before making an appointment with us, call the embassy of the country you are visiting to determine the exact requirements.

Per the U.S. Department of State, certification requirements vary from country to country. Some countries simply require the veterinarian who examines your pet to be licensed in the state of origin, and no USDA endorsement of the veterinarian's examination statement is required. Some countries will accept a standard letterhead health certificate and rabies certificate issued by a licensed veterinarian and endorsed by the USDA. However, other countries may require that your pet be checked by a federally-accredited veterinarian and that a United States Interstate and International Certificate for Health Examination for Small Animals (AHPIS Form 7001) be issued by that veterinarian and endorsed by the USDA.(Since August 1994 only a federally accredited veterinarian can sign this form.) You will also need to check the airline you will be using for your pet. There have been cases where a country does not require a certification, but a particular airline does. There is a USDA endorsement fee per certificate for cats and dogs. Contact the USDA-APHIS for the current cost of the endorsement of the APHIS-7001 form. Note: More than one dog or cat may be on a certificate. For other animals, call the USDA at the numbers below.

The timetable for obtaining examination statements and certifications can be very tight. Plan well in advance to be sure all paperwork is complete in time for your shipping or travel date. You may send your paperwork by mail or courier along with a rabies certificate, the appropriate fee for service, and a self-addressed stamped envelope or a pre-paid Federal Express envelope (if you are short of time) for return to you. Be sure that the veterinarian's name is legible, and includes a contact person with a daytime telephone number. Pets examined by veterinarians in other U.S. areas should have the papers certified by the USDA-APHIS veterinary office in that state.

In some instances, in-person appointments for endorsement may be available at a location closer to you.  Please contact the office listed below for more information on your health certificate submission options.

USDA-APHIS-National Import Export Services
1506 Klondike Road, Ste. 300
Conyers, GA  30094